Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Save the Last Toke For Me

I would hope that the legalization of pot in Washington and Colorado would make other states take a good look at their own laws about marijuana. Some might, but most won't. They don't want to stick their toes in the water. Something might bite.

The real winners in Washington and Colorado are the citizens of each state, but both states are predominantly white. While they both have minority populations, the legalization of pot will not have the same effect as say, a state like Mississippi. Incarceration for drug offences primarily affect minorities who are also primarily the victims of drug wars in cities. The amount of time and money and time dealing with youth and adults caught with small amounts of marijuana has resulted in several states to "decriminalize" marijuana. You get caught with small amounts, you get a ticket. No one gets arrested, put through the judicial system like a losing lottery number and the court can proceed with more serious crimes. This allows police officers forgo lengthy reporting, transporting offenders to police lockups, and basically go back to dealing with more important issues of their job. And don't laugh and say it's "eating donuts" because it isn't.

Imagine what would happen if marijuana was legal in all states. It would be sold and taxed. The taxes would be shared between the state and federal governments. Think about everyone you know, because even if you don't smoke a little weed now and then, you certainly know someone who does. If pot was legal and taxed, I bet we get that pesky deficit under control in no time.

People my age (and I'm middle aged) have no qualms about the fact they smoke pot. Let's face it, we've been doing it for at least thirty five years. Young enough to enjoy it and old enough to know its really not a big deal. Usually the biggest problems we face is keeping it secret from our kids. Yeah, we were the hypocrites that warned them about the dangers of drugs, and many of us have raised children who want absolutely nothing to do with drugs. They are shocked to learn that Mom and Dad have been sneaking around their backs, toking up whenever the coast was clear. As we age, though, the reasons for smoking pot changes. And those reasons have nothing to do with getting high.

Medical marijuana is available in many states. It is in mine. I'm just too embarrassed to bring up the issue with my doctor, but it is a conversation I will have to start sometime soon. I have a debilitating form of arthritis. My hands are deformed and it has spread to my knees and hips. I try to keep walking as much as I can, but it hurts. I have had nights when the pain keeps me awake and a few Tylenol just doesn't do much anymore. I cannot take any of the TNF drugs that can effectively put my disease into remission for six months to a year. I have an artificial heart valve, and even when I had a simple operation to have my appendix out a year and a half ago, I spent fourteen days in the hospital because of an infection. The number one goal of the doctors who treated me was to protect my heart. I'm not Dick Cheney; I just can't buy myself a new heart if this one gives out.  My options for pain management are limited. I do not want to go down the road of narcotic dependency. It's a slippery slope that can potently cause bigger problems that I don't want or need. That leaves only one option left, which is medical marijuana. Whew.

In the meantime, I hope Colorado and Washington's Grand Experiment works. I hope it takes drug dealers out the equation, or better yet, makes it easier for law enforcement to go after the dealers who ride high on selling addictive heroin and cocaine. There is help for heroin addicts and there is help for cocaine addicts.  Most times it is the lack of money or a lack of available merchandise that triggers an addict to seek help. I'm just guessing here, but I think I'm partly right.

In the meantime, to my sibling in Colorado, I may come visit sometime soon. Please save the last toke for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment